A Note from Our Founder

Judie Vivian Co-Founder Standup for the Cure

Judie Vivian
Co-Founder Standup for the Cure

Dear friends,

Standup for the Cure is an event run primarily by volunteers and ‘Gift in Kind’ donations.  We forward 100% of the donations and proceeds from each Standup event to the local affiliate of Susan G. Komen, the largest, non-government funder of breast cancer research in the world.

75% of all funds donated are returned to the local community through Komen’s local affiliate in the form of grants to clinics for breast health services for local uninsured and under-insured women. The remaining 25% of all funds received by Komen go towards ground-breaking, international breast cancer research.

The recipients of the Komen community grants are selected by a strict process: RFP’s are submitted by local clinics to the Komen Affiliate for grants to be able to offer breast health services to under-insured or uninsured women. These grant applications are carefully reviewed by the Komen Affiliate’s Grant Review Committee and if approved and granted, their performance is carefully monitored all year to ensure proper use of those funds per their RFP commitments.  Read about each year’s grants on the Komen affiliate websites or contact them directly to learn more.   

On average, a donation of $125 covers the cost of a mammogram, but there are also many other ways the Komen Affiliates help women undergoing treatment such as helping them with hats, wigs and scarves while undergoing chemotherapy, covering insurance deductibles on diagnostics, outreach education programs to encourage early detection and support groups.

As a breast cancer survivor myself, I feel that this is the most effective use of our funds raised and I am committed to the fight against breast cancer for all of us, since 1 in 8 are diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.  

I have served on Komen Orange County’s Grant Review Committee and also on their Board of Directors so that I can be absolutely sure of how and where our donation funds are spent in that area.  This experience has convinced me that Komen’s model overall is well-monitored and extremely effective at handling community breast health issues.  I believe that together we can save lives!

Sincerely,

Judie-signature.jpg